- Check for necessary repairs to your car before giving it a makeover.
- Clean your car thoroughly inside and out.
- Upgrade your car accessories such as door handles and speakers to give it a more modern look.
- Give your car a new paint job with popular colors like midnight purple or sage green.
Americans spent an enormous amount of money on car repairs and renovations in 2021. According to a survey conducted by the National Automobile Dealers Association, 194.9 billion U.S. dollars was spent on services related to the maintenance and repair of their motor vehicles.
But with careful planning and elbow grease, you can transform your vehicle into something extraordinary. Here are some tips on giving your old car a makeover even if you are on a tight budget.
Check for Necessary Repairs
Before giving your old car a makeover, it’s essential to check for any necessary repairs. While you may be tempted to ignore any minor issues, they could become more costly in the long run.
You can start by visually inspecting your vehicle for physical issues that should be addressed immediately and some that might take longer to repair.
Things that You Should Inspect in Your Car
You can check your brakes, tires, and wheels for damages. Properly inspect your car’s exhaust system, suspension components, steering system, battery/charging system, ignition system components as well as engine belts and hoses.
Repairs may also be necessary so don’t forget to probe further and thoroughly check for damages in the exterior of the car. You might want to do some windshield restorations for your safety as well.
Clean it Up
The next thing to do in giving your old car a makeover is to clean it up. Cleaning is not only aesthetically pleasing; it also helps protect your car from rust, corrosion, and other damage caused by dirt buildup over time.
Easy Steps You Can Follow in Cleaning Your Car
- Vacuum the interior and trunk of your car to remove dust, dirt, and debris.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a soft cloth or microfiber towel dipped in interior cleaner.
- Use an upholstery brush to scrub the carpets and fabric seats if necessary.
- Clean any exterior surfaces with a neutral pH soap-and-water solution and a sponge or soft cloth for best results.
- Rinse off any remaining soap suds using clean water from a hose or bucket before drying off the vehicle completely using an absorbent microfiber towel to prevent water spots from forming on the paintwork whilst it dries naturally in indirect sunlight.
- Polish painted finishes with suitable wax polish as often required; usually, every few months is recommended. Followed by buffing until you have achieved a nice glossy shine again.
Upgrade Your Accessories
You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on new rims or fancy gadgets to upgrade your car’s appearance. Instead, focus on superficial details like replacing worn door handles or upgrading the speakers with Bluetooth-compatible ones.
You can also add an LED light kit for extra illumination at night. These small touches can help give your car that extra bit of style without breaking the bank.
There are some car accessories that are both aesthetically pleasing and affordable that you can buy from physical shops or online.
Add a New Paint Job
A fresh coat of paint is also one of the best ways to give your old car a makeover. You can choose from classic colors like white or black for a timeless look or try something bolder like red or blue for more eye-catching results.
Depending on how much work needs to be done and how much money you’re willing to spend. You can opt for either partial painting or touching up certain areas. Either way, this will go a long way toward making your old car look brand new again.
If you have a hard time choosing a good color to repaint your car with these are some popular colors now:
Popular Colors for 2023
Here are some popular colors for 2023 that you might want to consider using; sage green, clay blush, citrus zest, power blue, midnight purple, charcoal gray, rose-hip pink, antique silver, and eucalyptus green.
Who says your car can’t stand out against the bland pavement? You just have to get creative and explore your options.
Whether you want something subtle yet stylish or something bold and eye-catching, there are plenty of ways to give your old car a makeover without breaking the bank. You can check for repairs; clean it up; replace worn-out door handles and upgrade speakers with newer versions and an entirely new paint job. The devil is in the details.